These colourful glasses will make you stand out from the crowd while giving your eyes a magical experience. They use a diffraction grating to break white light up into the colours of the rainbow. This idea of diffracting light into its separate colours is why rainbows are seen in the sky when raining. This science is used by astronomers to learn about stars, forensic chemists in fighting crime and MORE.
The idea of colour mixing can also be explored with our 'Lightning Stick', or colour test tube experiments.
Let's do an Experiment
Science Behind it Series
Quick Experiment “I See the Light!”
- 1 x Sparkle Glasses
- Different coloured lights (or 1 light and coloured cellophane)
- Dark room
- Adult supervision
- A very dark room may pose a tripping hazard. Care should be taken to avoid moving around while light is off. Light switch should be at arms length or controlled by parent.
- Place several lights on a table that are different colours. Alternatively have several different coloured sheets of cellophane.
- Place the Sparkle glasses on your head. Turn off the light and then examine each coloured light at different times.
- Each time you should observe how the coloured lines made by the Sparkle glasses differ.
Do they differ for different coloured lights or are they the same?
Each coloured light (or cellophane) emits certain coloured wavelengths of light. They should be different as red light has a different wavelength compared to green etc.
As you observe the coloured lights you should a different streak of light from the Sparkle glasses. Scientists use this same idea to see how light is different coming from stars to find out what chemical elements are in the stars atmosphere.
Learning Outside 'The Crazy Scientist'
Visit some websites:
- Stellar Spectra: explains how coloured light is used in Astronomy.
SKU: CS-LSG-01 - Need Help? Contact Us Leave Feedback
Categories: Classroom Kits, Colour / Light, Energy, Parties, Spring, Winter
- $6.00 – $33.00
- $46.95 inc 10% GST
- $2.95 – $25.00
- $11.00 – $35.95
There are no reviews yet.